Intro to recursion video
String example video
Optional reading: chapter 9
Note: code used in videos is available at
- A function that calls itself is said to be recursive.
- Problems that
- Have one or more simple cases with straightforward solutions
- Have other cases which can be redefined in terms of problems that are closer to the simple cases lend themselves well to recursive solutions.
- Basic pseudocode for recursive solutions:
if this is a simple case solve it else redefine the problem using recursion
- We often call the simple case the base case and the other case the recursive case